My name is Dr Sharon Blackie. I’m an award-winning writer and internationally recognised teacher with academic and professional qualifications in the fields of mythology and folklore, psychology and neuroscience, and literature and creative writing. My books, courses, lectures and workshops are focused on the development of the mythic imagination, and on the relevance of our native myths, fairy tales and folk traditions to the personal, social and environmental problems we face today. As well as writing four books of fiction and nonfiction, including the bestselling If Women Rose Rooted, my writing has appeared in the Guardian, the Irish Times, the Scotsman, and more, and I’ve been interviewed by the BBC and other major broadcasters on my areas of expertise.
I’m delighted to welcome you to this network, which is focused on building community, as well as offering a safe space and sounding board for exploring and enhancing your own unique mythopoetic journey through life. All those who are interested in cultivating the mythic imagination as a way of life are welcome here: artists, writers, activists, lovers of myth and story, those interested in Jungian and archetypal psychology, spiritual seekers … We're interested in cultivating the mythic imagination, reclaiming the mythic feminine, and nurturing the mythic arts.
Why does the mythic imagination matter? Because the world is changing. The old stories that Western civilisation has been living by for the past few centuries – stories of limitless growth, of the pursuit of progress as the primary purpose of life, of human separation from and domination over ‘nature’ – are crumbling. These are the stories of the patriarchy, of the heroic. The post-heroic stories which we need to replace those destructive tales will be born from this time-between-stories, and from the imaginations of visionaries and myth-makers like those who are gathered together in our community. We especially need the stories of the land; the stories of our native traditions, and the wisdom which is encoded within them.
This community is for you if:
– A safe space in which to share stories and experiences with likeminded people, and uncover ways to help you navigate your journey through the deep, wild, mysterious woods of the psyche
– Seven 'gateways' to focus our discussions and learning:
– Groups to gather together for deep explorations:
– A bimonthly book club, including a live Zoom webinar, in which we delve deeply into a work of fiction inspired by myth and fairy tales
– Exclusive articles and videos from Sharon each month, in which she shares what she's thinking about and working on
– A weekly invitation from your hosts to engage with a new idea or practice
– Regular content from guest teachers and contributors
– Useful resources to help you cultivate your mythic imagination
– Members-only 10% discount on Sharon's new online courses